Wednesday 23 December 2009

I'm Dreaming

of a White Christmas, just like the ones I used to know...

Yeah, growing up in coastal California didn't expose me to a lot of snow. You have to go inland for that, past Sacramento or so. Actually, the one December it did snow (albeit about 10 flakes) in MV, I was with a friend's family in Bear Valley, skiing. I remember those few flakes moved inland and became a massive storm. It was great! It blizzarded overnight, giving us a few feet of fresh snow. Drawback? Windchill was oh... -9F or so. Every time we hit the ski lift we'd have to knock off the icicles that formed on the bottoms of our scarves.

And when I was 15 or so, we spent Christmas with Chris O in WA in whiteout conditions... but that was the day after Christmas, wasn't it? So did that count? Maybe? I think it does!

Speaking of snow...

That's our front garden. I reckon that's the better part of an inch, there. E was slightly intrigued by the stuff, but I don't think he entirely grasped what was going on. He had a good poke about, though, and did some shuffling about. I couldn't get any pics, however, since I need both arms to wrangle him. Dude can seriously sprint, now. Bet he'd take gold in the Toddlerympics 400 dash.

It's still pretty cold here. We went to visit our friends on Sunday for an impromptu dinner at their place. It was only a 10 minute drive or so but the side roads were like ice skating rinks. Right now, it's raining, so I doubt we'll see a white Christmas. But that's ok.

Things on my to-do list:

-Make some mulled wine
-Wrap presents and attempt to avoid the "giant spitball" look
-Do up some stockings for the three of us
-Christmas Eve walk
-Long relaxing bath
-Bake a pecan pie
-Bake a pumpkin pie (both from Dad's recipes)

Hope everyone is keeping well and has a good holiday, wherever you are!

3 comments:

SSP said...

merry christmas to you all Katrina!! i am in houston at duck and cyndy's. Wish you were here.....hoping to see your dad in Feb - I will be in San francisco, and I will let him know!

Gail Pryatel said...

hey kat & family, have a merry christmas & happy new year! hope 2010 > *

Kat said...

Happy 2009 and best wishes for 2010! :)