Sunday 12 September 2010

September Remembrances and Mundanity

Before I get into the mundanity, I just want to say that I'm touched that Europe (the mainstream media, at least... and the friends I've spoken with) has such sensitivity toward what happened on September 11, 2001. I know it's overshadowed by more politicized events this 9th year on - but all I'm going to say about that is: Freedom of Religion. Separation of Church and State. Freedom of Speech.

I marked the anniversary by reading Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow. I highly recommend the book especially if you love freedom.

B and I visited Parliament Hill recently to say goodbye to some friends who are moving to the Inner Hebrides. What a move - London to those remote islands! I'm actually finding myself a little bit jealous. How wonderful to be surrounded by nature, to have enough room to move around, to be able to avoid constant exposure to other people, your upstairs neighbors dropping what sounds like a bowling ball every so often.... yep, I'm a little bit jealous to tell the truth. Well, onto the photos.

E was more interested in the kites than socializing...


And jam donuts. And running down the hill with Dadden and the other kids.



As we walked back to the car I got this photo. The plaque says: George Orwell - 1903-1950 - Writer - Lived Here

And no, ironic as it would be, that's actually not a CCTV camera, it's only a light :)

2 comments:

SSP said...

lovely day :-) and how ironic would that have been...it makes me smile to imagine!

Gail Pryatel said...

Freedom of Religion. Separation of Church and State. Freedom of Speech.

That pretty much says it.