Friday 1 August 2008

T minus 5

Since I'm living in England, maybe that should be tea minus 5? Either way, the due date is rapidly approaching. I've had a few symptoms of pre-eclampsia, so they're keeping an eye on me. In fact, I'm going in tomorrow for another blood pressure profile. Fortunately, blood tests, etc, have come back normal, so I should be all right.

The UK is a little bit more laissez-faire about pregnancy than the US tends to be. There's less emphasis on induction/c-section and more on natural birthing. They don't give you an internal exam until you're very close to the due date or actually overdue. This suits me just fine.

Here's something to drool over - homemade sausage gravy.

Ingredients: Sausage (plain), Flour, Milk, dash of pepper, a little butter. Crumble the sausage in, remove when cooked but leave the drippings. Make a roux. Add milk after letting the flour brown a bit. Cook until it thickens. Add sausage. Serve over homemade biscuits.

I made buttermilk biscuits from scratch for this good old southern dish. Warning: it's fattening, even with skim/lowfat milk, so don't say I didn't warn you. On the other hand, one serving of this for brunch should hold you until dinner.

That's all for now. I'll try and keep updating more often as things progress.

No comments: