Friday 30 November 2012

Speaking Too Soon...

...or rather, writing too soon.  Or too little, in this specific case.

While I managed to average 1200+ words per day for the entire month of November, and over 2k per day for almost a week, it wasn't enough to reach 50k by the end of the month.  Well, technically I have a few more hours... but it still ain't gonna happen.

But!  I have over 36,000 words on a new novel.  Given that my last few novels have wound up somewhere between 65-80k words, that's about halfway done.  I think this one is going to run a bit shorter, probably around the 60k mark.

I went into NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) thinking there was no way I could pull it off.  A week in, my opinion changed.  I found time to scribble down passages at C's playgroup, over a cup of tea at a cafe while she played with crayons and paper, during her naptime, after the kids went to bed.  500 words per day seems easy peasy now.  1k is a bit more of a stretch, but I proved I can do it.  So I may not have "won" NaNoWriMo, but I've come away with renewed confidence.  Now if only these editors would get back to me about my submissions....!

This month started off slow, then rapidly became very busy.  There was chickenpox times two in the kids (jury's still out on whether B gets it), a vomiting bug that hit the day after I wrote the last blog post (needless to say, we didn't get ready for school the next day, we sat around the house recuperating - or rather E did, he was the one who got hit).  Then two days ago I came down with a muted version of the cold the children have.  So it's been an interesting few days.

Still, through it all, we dance.


No comments: