Saturday 4 July 2009

Happy Fourth!

(And no hard feelings to my British readers.)

My laptop bit the dust, so I haven't been posting as much. We've packed a lot into this last week. Right now I'm sitting and listening to the fireworks going off - I'm too lazy to climb onto the roof this year to watch 'em.


We went to the county fair and ate some good Southern food. If the above sign doesn't make you salivate, then I don't know what will. For reference, I had the crawfish etoufee. Almost as good as my great-aunt used to make it, and that's high praise.


The pig races at the county fair.


Elijah getting up close and familiar with a burro, and then a fawn. He also patted some goats and got to see some pigs, chickens and a llama.


It was great to get back to the county fair and interesting to see it from a parent's perspective. I saw it from a child's perspective, going on the younger rides, then from a teenager's perspective, meeting up with friends and trying our best to be at the top of the ferris wheel when the fireworks started, and as a young adult, more interested in the exhibitions and wilder rides.

On Thursday we got together with 'Realma' from WA, an old family friend, and Elijah's great-aunt and had lunch in Fairfax.

On Friday, Dad, B and I took the cap and ball revolver to the range to try it out.

Lots of recoil, as you can probably tell. The black powder wasn't as smoky as we thought it might be. Oh, and my aim is still decent, in case you were wondering.


Today we celebrated the 4th in style with a barbecue at our friends' house. Here's Elijah exploring the garden with his grandpa in tow while the rest of us enjoy iced tea and food at the table.


B with Breezy. Dad went home with some pheasant courtesy of the dog above, she's a good hunter like her cousin Pepper.

That's all I have time for tonight.

2 comments:

dinah said...

Sounds like a lovely happy 4th! great to see and imagine Elijah enjoying all those animals. Much sympathy re laptop - same thing happened to me, desperate emergency here! we had to throw money at it, and traded it in with a hard disc swap... Been taking my laptop in to show Minnie the latest pics - no question that he is that 94-year-old's favourite person! am about to do the same today - she is still in hospital but ok after her op.

SSP said...

glad you were with family...i was too in houston...wish you all could have been there!